It’s finally time to get your license and head out on the open road … total freedom! But first you have to pass the driving tests necessary to get your driver’s license, which can be frightening.
It may seem intimidating, but the DMV wants you to pass the driving and written test to get your license. They offer many tools such as Driver’s Education and classes to help pass the written test. Here are some tips to get you ready for the test. Most states have different laws on what is required for getting a driver’s license, but there are some tips that will help you get ready, no matter where you live.
- Practice makes perfect. The more you drive, the better you will be. Most states require a set number of practice hours for minors to drive before they get their license.
- Take practice written tests online so you will be prepared for the test.
- Some states require Driver’s Ed before a driver’s license is issued. Check your states laws for getting a driver’s license.
- Get a manual and study for the written test. The manual should be available at your local DMV.
- Before taking the test, make sure you have the necessary documents handy such as your birth certificate, social security card and a photo ID if you have one.
What to expect
Many DMVs and states offer practice written tests and also inform you of what the road test will cover so you can practice. When you’re ready for the test, here’s what will happen.
- Written test: you will most likely take the written test at the DMV. The test will cover traffic laws in your state and driving knowledge. A passing score will be required in order to get your license.
- Vision test: if you wear contacts or glasses, you will be allowed to wear them for the test.
- Road test: it will cover your driving expertise and may include:
- Parallel parking
- General driving
- Obeying traffic laws
- Using turn signals
- Checking traffic in all directions
- Braking smoothly and accelerating
- Placement of hands
- Wearing a seatbelt
- Changing lanes
- If you pass both your written and driving test, you will pay your fees and get your picture taken for your driver’s license.
Once you have your driver’s license, you or your child will need auto coverage. Come visit Direct Auto Insurance for more information at one of our many locations, online at Directgeneral.com or call us at 1-877-GO-Direct (1-877-463-4732).